Have you ever heard of solar powered motion security lights? If you haven’t, then I’m sure it sounds cool, like some kind of spy thing that tech expert Q might make for James Bond’s next film. Unfortunately, the real-life answer is a little more mundane, though admittedly still pretty cool: these solar lights will flash on and off when they detect movement on your property during night-time. If the movement was caused by an animal, then no harm is done; if, however, it was someone trying to scope out your home, then they’ll be spooked off—they’ll think that you’re watching them—and they’ll flee the scene.
Reviews of the Best Outdoor Solar Powered Motion Security Lights
**Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
- 1 Reviews of the Best Outdoor Solar Powered Motion Security Lights
- 2 How Do Solar Motion Security Lights work?
- 3 Things To Consider When Buying Solar Motion Security Lights
- 4 Top 11 Best Outdoor Solar Powered Motion Security Lights Reviews
- 4.1 1. URPOWER Solar Lights 8 LED Wireless Waterproof Motion Sensor Outdoor Light
- 4.2 2. LITOM Super Bright 270°Wide Angle Solar Motion Sensor Lights
- 4.3 3. Solar Outdoor Motion Sensor Security Lights
- 4.4 4. LITOM 30 LED Waterproof Wireless Solar Motion Sensor Security Lights
- 4.5 5. URPOWER LED Outdoor Solar Motion Sensor Security Lights
- 4.6 6. BAXIA TECHNOLOGY Outdoor Wireless LED Solar Motion Sensor Security Lights
- 4.7 7. Lampat Bright LED Solar Powered Motion Sensor Security Lighting
- 4.8 8. LEPOWER Solar LED Outdoor Motion Sensor Security Light
- 4.9 9. Lampat Outdoor LED Solar Super Bright Motion Sensor Security Lights
- 4.10 10. LITOM LED Wireless Outdoor Solar Motion Sensor Security Lights
- 4.11 11. Outdoor Waterproof Solar Motion Sensor Security Light
- 5 Final verdict
How Do Solar Motion Security Lights work?
Solar motion security lights work because they feature motion detectors, whose sensors pick up movement in the vicinity of your home, often by detecting warmth via infrared light. You can turn them on to function like regular lights when you don’t need to use them for their security benefits.
Like other solar lights, they function by absorbing sunlight during the day, which is then emitted at night: you can set them either to shine continuously or to flash when they detect movement. And like other solar lights, they will help you save energy and electricity—and money—in the long run, because you won’t have to replace them every few years.
Things To Consider When Buying Solar Motion Security Lights
It’s true that you always need to do your research when you’re buying a new kind of product. This is particularly true in the case of solar-powered security lights since they entail diverse functions—solar power for one, but also motion detection and lighting in general. As well, solar security lights are placed on your property, so you’ll need to make sure that they can with withstand any weather conditions that might be present.
For all these reasons and more, there are certain things you’ll need to watch out for when you want to buy solar-powered lights, whether you’re looking for your first set or your fifth. So, we’ve compiled a list of these factors for you to consider, so that you can make the best possible decision.
- Durability: We already mentioned that solar lights are usually placed outside. As such, you’ll want to look for models that have durability features—for example, that waterproof, and that they’re made out of strong plastic or metal, which is heavy-duty enough to withstand rain, snow, and other intense climates. They should also be resistant to heat damage, and be durable enough that you can set them up without worrying about damaging them.
- Ease of installation: Installation always sounds simple in theory, but in reality, it can be one of those things that determine whether or not you’ll actually use the set of solar security lights that you buy. After all, I’m sure there’s at least one situation where you didn’t end up using an item—even if it would have been useful for you—because you didn’t want to dig it out from a box in storage. Along the same lines, if the installation of a product is too complicated, a lot of us simply wouldn’t install it in the first place. Anyway, installation is easier when, for example, the pieces are larger and easier to manipulate. It is also helpful to find a set of motion security lights that is large enough to cover the entire perimeter of the area you’re trying to cover.
- Energy efficiency: Solar-powered lights will help you save quite a bit on electricity costs, so you shouldn’t neglect energy efficiency in your search for the perfect set of lights. Also, when searching, take the designs different models into account, since this can affect the amount of light that they emit, and can even lead to additional wastage of solar energy, in some cases.
- Level of illumination: The level of light given off by these lights is important for two reasons: first, of course, because you’d prefer having light; and second, because intruders will need to see the lights flashing so that they get scared and run off. If they don’t see the lights because they’re not bright enough—or, alternatively, they are fairly bright but the path is blocked by an obstacle, such as a large bush or the dark eaves of your house—then they’ll just go on about their business, thinking they’re safe. And, if you don’t have an alarm system and are fast asleep in bed, they might very well be safe, since you’ll have no idea what’s really going on.
Top 11 Best Outdoor Solar Powered Motion Security Lights Reviews
If you’re looking for these kinds of lights, then tons and tons of options are available. But there’s no need to stress yourself out: we’ve reviewed eleven of the best models on the market, all of which we can recommend to you.
- on and off function works automatically
- 8 LED lights: bright, long-lasting light
- weather-resistant: IP64 waterproof and heatproof
- solar panel lasts five years
- the lifespan of LED lights is 50,000 hours
Use this light anywhere
You don’t necessarily need to use this light to protect your home; you can also use it to decorate and illuminate your home. Case in point: it looks perfect on any feature of your property, including decks, patios, veggie gardens, driveways, and other areas that are sorely in need of a little light. This is helped by the fact that it’s weather-resistant—it can resist both water and heat, and has been assigned the IP64 standard—and features 8 LED lights with bright, long-lasting light.
A smart light
The solar panel of these lights lasts a full five years and, even better, the light span of the 8 LED lights is roughly about 50,000 hours. The lights itself will last for up to 12 hours, depending on how dark it is outside, and the bright light turns on automatically, giving a study, bright glow for a full 30 seconds—plenty of time to scare off any potential intruders. The sensor more specifically can read up to 3 meters in its surroundings, and the range of detection is about 120 degrees. As well, the lithium-ion battery is set at 3.7 volts and 900 mAH. You can turn them on thanks to the pins on each light; you just have to click it.
Installation is simple and straightforward
You install this particular set of lights by screwing them in; the screws are located at the top and are easy to use. There are four screws in all, which nicely matches in with the eight separate LED lights.
- wide angle of 270 degrees
- features 54 LED lights
- illumination is very light
- ideal for everywhere: front door, backyard, garage, deck, porch, patio, walkway
- wireless and waterproof
The perfect source of illumination
There are many reasons why this set of lights will provide you with all the illumination you need. For one thing, it has 54 LEDs—over four dozen of them—and together they provide very bright light, which measures up to 800 lumens in all. This amount of light is more than you’ll find with other, similar models of solar-powered LED lights. The illumination is spread around effectively, thanks to the built-in PIR sensor, which itself can detect a range that goes up to 120 degrees in range, including a 26-feet sensor length to match. Not to mention, this set of lights for a wide angle of 270 degrees.
A great choice, no matter the weather
This model of lights is well-suited to changing weather conditions, whether you live in the heard of the south or the cold of the northeast coast. First, it’s made out of durable ABS plastic, which is waterproof. The lights have also been designed to be heat-resistant, so you can leave them out during the hottest days of the year without worrying about whether or not they’ll get damaged. They can also withstand serious weather conditions, including hail, heavy rain, and thick snow.
Three different lighting modes
There are different lighting modes to use for different reasons: sensor mode, dim light sensor mode, and medium light mode. Thus, you can light up any section of your exterior grounds at the same time as you protect your home from unwelcome influences.
- Very bright (1400 lumens)
- 9 watts (110-watt equivalent)
- doesn’t include a wire, for easier installation
- flood lights provide a lot of light over a large area
Setup is quick and easy
Thanks to the easy installation, you can have this system up and running in a short time indeed. Installation is easy, even if you put the lights in more awkward places, such as at the corner of your house. The instructions are clear and easy to read, which makes them easy to follow when you’re setting the lights up yourself. There are only a few components, too: three screws and the waterproof backing, which is adhesive, so that you can easily stick it wherever it needs to go.
Interesting design keeps threats away from your home
The design of these lights actually resembles a security camera—something like a dark grey cylinder with a light shining at one end—so anyone trying to peep in on your home will receive an unpleasant surprise. As soon as the lights detect motion, they will shine brightly, in a very noticeable way. You can also point the lights in different directions, so you’ll get a good amount of control over where the light is aimed.
Weatherproof design withstands harsh weather conditions
The various features of these lights make them able to withstand intense weather and harsher climates. Thus, for example, the adhesive backing is waterproof, so that it will hold in place in any type of weather.
- wide angle of 270°
- easy to set up and install
- sold in a pack of 4
- waterproof and wireless
- can function and produce light throughout the whole day
Very bright lights
These lights produce a lot of illumination, thanks to the fact that they are composed of 30 high-powered LED beads. The photoelectric conversion rate of the solar panel, which is produced by SunPower, is roughly 25% higher than solar panels by other brands. The lights will shine for thirty continuous seconds if an intruder is detected on your property, and will prolong the light for more than thirty seconds if they detect movement while they’re shining. The lights also have a lifespan of 36 months—3 times longer than that of solar lights by other brands—and have been assigned the rating of IP67.
High-quality sensors surpass other sensors on the market
The sensor in this model of motion lights is quite good for a number of reasons. As we pointed out before, it will go off with a continuous stream for thirty seconds when motion is detected and will prolong the length of the light stream if it senses more movement while it’s still shining; this makes for an additional layer of security on your end. LITOM is the developer of this PIR (passive infrared) sensor, which is 20% more effective at detecting both range and sensitivity in terms of movement on your property.
Installation is quick and straightforward
You can install these lights quite easily on account of how fast and easy it is to understand how they’re supposed to be set up. They have a wireless design, so you don’t need to wire anything in; you just screw it into the surface of where you want to place it, such as your garden, path, home, driveway or stairs. The screws are also included in the pack. The solar panel is detachable, and an LED lamp body is attached to the supporting cover.
With their stainless-steel design, these lights are solid and durable, to the point where you can leave them outside, so that they can withstand harsh weather—including rain, ice, snow, and wind—without you needing to worry about having to take them down every winter. You can just leave them up for the whole year as need.
The sensors in this device will be able to detect motion within an activation range of 3 full meters. The lights will turn on right away the moment that motion is detected. The lights will stay on after the motion stops, lasting for another twenty seconds. You can also turn the lights on manually when you’re not using them on their security mode.
- 28 LEDs for full brightness
- lampshades cover the LED to complete the aesthetic
- absorbs sunlight for 8 hours at a time
- waterproof to the IP65 standard
A durable design
This set of lights features a durable design that is not only waterproof—more specifically, to the standard of IP 65—but which is also eco-friendly, in that you can charge it for eight hours and then have a solid light source for the whole night. The lifespan also lasts longer than that of many other models, in part due to the fact that the no-dim mode prevents wasting the solar electricity. The design also offers a motion angle of 120°, and is resistant to both water and heat.
30-day money-back guarantee
Another great thing about these lights is that you can get your money back, for a period of up to thirty days, if it’s not up to your expectations. They are also sold with a 90-day limited product warranty.
Effective light and sensors
The lights function efficiently: there are 28 LEDs, after all. The motion angle is 120°, which allows for so much light that you can easily turn a dark space into a bright space with little effort. The lights will charge when exposed to 8 hours of sunlight during the day—this allows them to last through the whole night—and the lampshade that covers the LEDs shades the light, adding nuance and preventing the illumination from becoming too bright.
- a full 90 LEDs for maximum brightness
- waterproof for rainy weather
- two operating modes: auto, to use for security, and on, for continuous lighting
- 2 are included in the package
Control your lighting experience
You can effectively control your lighting experience with these lights, in that there are two modes: the auto mode is used at night, so that it can detect motion and movement outside while you’re safe in your home, and the on mode, so that you can emit a continuous stream of light whenever you want. The PIR motion sensor is integrated with the rest of the lighting device and can detect movement at a distance of up to 16.4 feet, with a range of 120 degrees. The illumination is also very bright; this is because the 90 various solar LEDs emit more than 200 hundred lumens of light.
The ideal design
Another great thing about these lights is that the solar panel is waterproof—it makes use of high-efficiency, polycrystalline material to optimize sunlight absorption and improve electricity conversion. When fully charged, the unit will provide six or more hours of lighting at one time, even when it’s dark and cloudy outside.
Experienced, professional staff members
The skilful staff of LAMPAT is here to help you if ever you have problems with these lights. Simply call them up, and they will talk you through any of these problems, offering useful solutions that you can apply to the problem right away—and get it fixed as soon as possible.
- 2 modes: automatic (for security sensing) and steady on
- eco-friendly design that contributes to saving energy
- waterproof, with a rating of IP65
- very long lifetime: 50,000 hours
An eco-friendly choice
These lights benefit from eco-friendly design and style choices. For example, their life lasts up to 50,000 hours—much higher than the longevity of other brands. You have the option of changing the lights’ mode at will—you can go for the automatic mode, which is ideal for security, or the permanent on mode, which allows for a steady, continuous stream of light—and this, in turn, allows you to avoid unnecessary wastage of electricity. Also, note that the solar panel can function even and gather up sunlight even when it’s cloudy and overcast outside.
Cool design features
Another interesting design element featured with these lights is the light heads, which can be adjusted and have their angle changed as necessary. The lights also have a waterproof rating of IP65.
These lights will also allow you to obtain an excellent quantity of light and illumination. This is because of the 1500mAH lithium-ion battery, which is built into the solar panel; the battery allows up to 950 lumens of brightness to be produced and allows heat to dissipate properly as well, thus reducing damage wrought on the unit. The range detected by the sensors goes up to 49 feet maximum, and the sensing angle measures up to 180° wide.
- wide angle for maximum brightness
- waterproof and wireless
- 62-LED structure
- made of high-impact ABS plastic
Durable design will withstand harsh weather conditions
Many features of this model ensure that these lights are durable and strong. For example, they are IP65 waterproof, which means that it can hold up to harsh weather—including rain, wind, ice, and snow—for years. Additionally, the design features high-impact ABS plastic, which can withstand higher pressures in addition to more intense weather. It also has a transparent protective case, which further adds to its longevity over the years.
Efficient charging ability
The solar panel charges faster than those of other models, even in environments where there is less sunshine overall. It only needs to charge sunlight for a few hours in order for it to produce a charge that can last throughout the whole night.
Great sensing ability
The sensor can detect motion from up to thirty feet in the distance. The result is that it will pick up even small, subtle movements that models by other brands wouldn’t detect. It can even catch the movement of small pets, like cats and dogs. The bright lights that shine when the motion-detecting sensor is activated ensure that they will function as a deterrent for whoever is hanging out where they don’t belong—whether someone is simply letting their dog relieve him- or herself on your property, or whether they’re planning something much more nefarious.
- sold in a pack of four
- improve the use of light by 25% compared to other brands
- light is produced during the whole night
- made of high-powered LED beads
A better deal than others you’ll find on the market
There are so many solar security lights on the market, it can be difficult to know where to start, but LITOM, which has more than four million positive customer reviews, is always a good choice. This particular model, which has a rating of IP65, is made up of high-powered LED beads and produces enough light to last throughout the whole night. Its use of light is 25% stronger than with other brands, and the lighting angle, which has a wide-angle design, is 50% better than those of other brands as well. Also, these lights will last for a full thirty-six months (three years).
An effective sensor
The sensor of this device can reach up to 200 square feet with each light, for a total of 800 square feet, since there are four separate lights in total. The lights stay on for thirty seconds when they detect motion or movement on your property, but this period will be prolonged if they sense more motion during the lighting period. When there is no strange movement, the lights will turn back off, allowing them to save energy and electricity for when they will truly be needed. This sensor is PIR (passive infrared), and can sense range and sensitivity to a degree that is up to 20% higher than that of other LED lights.
- The light will last up to 40 hours
- Built-in PIR Motion Detection Sensor
- Motion sensor detection for up to 26 feet and 120-degree view
- 360 degree adjustable
Efficient design prevents intruders from moving onto your property
A few features of these lights mean that they can effectively help protect your property against any threats that are present—whether that’s teenage vandals, your neighbour’s kitten, or even a real threat like well-trained burglars. The design, which is made out of aluminium and is white in colour, resembles a security camera, thereby amplifying the impression that your home is well-protected against possible intruders.
Bright illumination for your property
The lights are set at 5 watts (110-watt equivalent), and they’re waterproof, with a rating of IP66. They provide up to 800 lumens of illumination, thanks to their 8 LEDs, and the overall design is wireless so that they will be less of a hassle to deal with. The polycarbonate lens makes the lights brighter than they would otherwise be. The lights charge in about 5 or 6 hours, at which point you can leave them to shine on during the whole night, without worrying about them dying out or spluttering.
Strong and powerful
The holder of these lights is 360° adjustable, allowing for you to help install them how you like on your property, and furthermore allowing you to improve the amount of lighting that you can gather up. The lights are made out of a high-quality alloy of both aluminium and ABS plastic. The case is made out of an aluminium alloy as well.
Having trouble looking for solar-powered motion security lights for your home? If you do your research properly, you’ll find the model of lights that is perfect for you. To that end, we particularly recommend the URPOWER Solar Lights 8 LED Wireless Waterproof Motion Sensor Outdoor Light and the LITOM Solar Lights Outdoor, 54 LED Super Bright 270°Wide Angle Motion Sensor Lights. These two models are of high quality and will provide you with enough bright, well-positioned light to ensure that your property is protected against unwelcome surprises. But, whether or not you choose one of the models we’ve mentioned, we wish you the best of luck in your search for domestic solar-powered motion security lights.
Solar Powered Motion Security Lights
These outdoor solar motion security lights are waterproof, environment-friendly, affordable and very easy to use. These lights are perfect for homes, gardens, businesses, warehouses and farms.